Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Journey to Becoming the Proverbs 31 Woman #1

So, to update you on how I am progressing in my journey to becoming the Proverbs 31 woman I will begin by saying that I am making small changes a few at a time.  My goal is mastery, and then I add a few more small changes.  The first logical step to becoming the Proverbs 31 woman is to get organized because it will make every other small change easier to fit in your schedule and to master.  I have made several big improvements to my organization.  I am implementing a Home Organizing Binder system (which you can find the PDF's FREE here!) and I have created several components to that system, but I still have more to do.  I am a list orientated person, so I created several documents that will help me organize my life with lists.  I am also a fan of block scheduling and that is the method I used for scheduling our homeschool day and also our daily and weekly chores.  I am working on an accomplishments document for my children to keep track of what they have actually completed or accomplished each day.  I have found several on the Internet for free, but they didn't quite fit what I needed.  The ones I found are not ink friendly and don't include Saturday and we have Saturday school so I would like to keep a record of what my children accomplished on Saturday as well.

How's it going so far?  Well, in light of the fact that I have a terrible sinus infection AGAIN, I would say that it is going really well.  I have been able to implement our school schedule and our daily and weekly chores schedule and keep up with it thus far.  Some of the smallest changes have made the biggest impact on my family.  Since I have been following a chore schedule for myself, my children have been more eager to do their chores.  When I start fluttering around doing my chores like a busy bee, they just naturally follow me.  When the house becomes filled with the scent of homemade cleaners and the sound of tunes being hummed by happy hearted busy bees it seems as if the sun is shining brighter.  It's almost as if I had opened the windows to let in the new Spring air.  It is fascinating to me that my children notice more of what I contribute when I am following a schedule and going about my work with a positive attitude and purposefully eager hands.

Okay, here I go back to the confessional.....In the past I did not make my bed everyday.  Sometimes perfectionism works in weird ways, and I have a hard time getting into my bed at night if it is made.  I don't want to mess it up.  Yes, I do know how ridiculous this is, but yet it is still hard for me. One of my immediate changes was to make the bed every morning before I leave my room.  Sometimes this is impossible because my husband is still sleeping, but I have managed to make the bed everyday.  I know this seems simple, but the effect of the change has been impressive.  My husband is thrilled!  I never knew how happy it would make him, to be able to count on the bed being made EVERYDAY.  Not only has this made my husband happy, it has also inspired my children to make their beds before they leave their rooms.  They are excited to show me how nice of a job they have done on their beds.  I know I am not alone in having your bedroom be the room that gets neglected.  I have always wanted the rest of my house to be tidy, but I haven't paid that kind of attention to my bedroom.  If I had known how much it meant to my husband to come home to a tidy bedroom and slip into a crisply made bed at night, I would have always done it.  I mean, it just really makes his day.  He is giddy like a kid in a candy store when he slides carefully between the cool crisp  sheets.  I will admit that I still prefer getting into a warm snuggly unmade bed that I am not bothered by the thought of messing up, but that feeling is so over shadowed by how much of a blessing it is to my husband.

Something else I have discovered is Overnight Crock pot Oatmeal.  This has been a life saver in having a hot breakfast ready for my family when I am still working on getting up a little earlier each morning. 

Ingredients:
2 cups steel cut oats
6 cups waters
4 apples cubed
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp salt

Directions:
Put all ingredients in the crock pot
Set crock pot on low right before you go to bed
Serve oatmeal in the morning as is or add a splash of milk

It's so delicious and so easy.  Not to mention it keeps my kids from bugging me at 11:00am for lunch.

I have found thus far the journey to becoming the Proverbs 31 woman to be a blessing not only to my family, but also to me. I would have to say though that my most favorite blessing is that of sending my hubby off to work with lunch.  It gives me the opportunity to write him love notes and stick them in the bag.  I am not one for gushing over him and being all mushy out loud, but telling him how much he means to me in a note is how I can express myself.  For special days, I have always written him long letters telling him how much he means to me, but it's a fun treat to be able to jot down just a few things that I appreciate about him today, and give a few encouraging thoughts.  I am also guilty of decorating the bag ;)  I don't know how much he loves that part, but oh well it blesses me to think of his co-workers seeing him carry in a bag decorated by his wifey, hehehehe.  Anyhoo, that is how it has been going for me this week living like the Proverbs 31 woman. 

If you are on this journey with me please share the changes you are making in your life.  Thanks for reading, and if you enjoyed it please consider sharing the love.


Here are a few resources I found this week that you may want to check out as well.  I especially love the last one!  Women Living Well does video posts following along with the verses from Proverbs 31.  She also has an e-book to download to help you in your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment